Dr. Andrew Islam
Undergraduate: Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
Bachelor of Science, Biology
Graduate: Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
Master of Science, Applied Anatomy
Medical: Case Western Reserve University, School Of Medicine, M.D.
USMLE Steps 1, 2 3
Dr. Andrew Islam is a native of Dayton, Ohio, where he attended Chaminade Julienne Catholic High School. He completed his undergraduate degree in biology at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. Dr. Islam then simultaneously obtained his Doctor of Medicine and a Master of Science in Applied Anatomy at the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. He completed his orthopaedic surgery residency at University Hospitals Case Medical Center. During his residency training, Dr. Islam spent an extra year in the laboratory of Edward M Greenfield, Ph.D, dedicated to researching the molecular signaling mechanisms of orthopaedic implant loosening. Upon completing residency, Dr. Islam pursued a fellowship in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine at the world-renowned Cleveland Clinic Foundation, where he learned from leaders in the fields of shoulder, elbow and knee arthroscopy.
During fellowship, Dr. Islam gained extensive experience regarding the specialized care of the athlete ranging from the weekend warrior to the professional. His team coverage reponsibilites included serving as a team physician for the Cleveland Metropolitan School District and John Carroll University. He also assisted with coverage of the NFL Cleveland Browns, MLB Cleveland Indians and NBA Cleveland Cavaliers including the NFL combine and spring training.
Dr. Islam's research has been presented at national meetings and published in highly respected journals including the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Journal of Orthopedic Research and Journal of Cell Physiology.
Areas of Specialty
Dr. Islam has extensive training and training regarding the specialized care of the athlete. Dr. Islam served as team physician for the Cleveland Metropolitan School District and John Caroll University
He also assisted with coverage of the NFL Cleveland Browns, MLB Cleveland Indians and NBA Cleveland Cavaliers including the NFL combine and spring training.
Fellowship & Residency
Fellowship: Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Cleveland, OH
Residency: University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH
- Bethesda North Hospital, Active Staff
- Jewish Hospital, Courtesy Staff
- Good Samaritan Hospital, Courtesy Staff
- Margaret Mary Hospital, Courtesy Staff
- Evendale Medical Center, Active Staff
- West Chester Hospital, Courtesy Staff
- Greater Cincinnati Surgery Center, Temporary
- Dean’s Honors, 1996 - 1999
- Provost Scholar, 1996 - 1999
- Pre-Professional Scholars Program in Medicine, 1996 - 2003
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- Mortar Board National Honor Society
- Ralph A. Spengler, Jr. Plant Science Award
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Summa Cum Laude Graduate, Case Western Reserve University
- Case Western Reserve University Office of Geriatric Medicine, Research Scholarship
- Allen Research Fellowship
- Cleveland Orthopaedic Society Resident Essay Competition, First Place
- Alvin Freehafer, MD Award
Recommended LinksAmerican Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
American Medical Association
Ohio State Medical Association
Cincinnati Medical Association
National Medical Association
National Medical Fellowships